Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Does age affect your game designs?

How does your age affect the games you design? And in what way?

For me there's experience with older RPGs, the more classic ones. This tends to shape your view on RPGs, as with everything else in life. The first things you meet, specially when young, leave a longer lasting impression. Younger players are exposed to many more rule systems than I ever was in my highschool years.

Secondly with age comes a greater value for time, or simply less of it to put into gaming. Much less so game design. In my case I could no longer digest the endless tomes of books I used to read in highschool. So not only do I lack the time to write endless collections of books, even if I did have the time, I wouldn't do it. I simply can't burden someone else with something I personally wouldn't do myself. So no long rulebooks either.

Do you think your age affects the games you design? If so how and if you were younger or older what would change?

No comments: